Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Roast chicken

Well, after my pitiful public appeal and several offers of roast chicken dinners with all the trimmings being taxi-ed to my door within hours of my public breakdown (which I was very touched by!) I was tended to by the Angel of Rizq this afternoon and me and Boss were treated to afore-mentioned gnosh. And very nice it was too masha'allah, my compliments to the chef(ettes). We had a continental style dinner, in that each serving was served separately from the other - first vege then chicken. I'm not sure if this was an attempt to step into the world of continental chic or more what happens when three Muslimahs who have 7 kids between them need to pray, break up fights, wipe snot, bounce babies and eat all at the same time. Boss liked his roast chicken "very much" and I think I will probably make the effort to roast him some - except how did you guys make it so tasty and brown??? Please advize non-domesticatable woman on your secret...

It would have been nice to have three mouthfuls of the meal in consecutive bites thus actually feeling as though I was having a meal rather than a pit-stop between child adoration, but I suppose those luxuries are for singletons and men. Spent close to two hours listening to this:

"Mum, so-and-so hit me... Mum, so-and-so nipped me ... Mum, come and look what I did... Mum, come and see this ... Mum, I've fallen kiss my bum... Mum, so-and-so pushed me ... Mum, I need the toilet... Mum, can't think of anything to say to you but you looked as though you were having an adult conversation and we can't have that now can we, so I just wanted to nip it in the bud...." then just as I'd de-tangled myself from the tell-tales Boss moved on to telling it all to Aunty K who had made the HUGE mistake of breaking up a nipping incident thus incurring all the "your son did this to me" for about half an hour extra. You know, I never thought I'd see the day when I would hear myself say "OH JUST PUNCH HIM".... *sigh* Will have to teach him a few wrestling and head-lock moves in time for the next social engagement....

K was stating how we should write a book outlining the dross of motherhood to counter-act all those over-hyped sentimental books which make motherhood out to be somekind of adventure play-ground, self-fulfilling experience. I think such a book would be very funny and no one outside of motherhood would believe it anyway. Just like "The Best-Friends Guide to Motherhood" which I read before giving birth to Boss and was quite alarmed at, but reading it afterwards left me nearly wetting myself.

So go on K write the book!!

3 Comments:

At 7:51 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

About the roast chicken... my mum taught me to cook it for about an hour wrapped loosely with foil, ie. you put foil in the tin, chicken on top then bring foil round over chicken and close over the top but loosely so it's not really touching. After the hour, unwrap the foil and let brown for about a half hour. Always cut at the leg joint to see if the juices run clear which means that it's done. Coincidentaly i had roast chicken yesterday also... Yummy!
As for flavour i usually roast mine with a chopped onion, few garlic cloves, salt and pepper and if i have it a bit of lemon. You should try it it's really quite simple - You know where i am if u want any more advice- was salaam.
PS. gas mark 5-6

 
At 9:08 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Keep the info coming... recipes welcome - I am so not a domestic creature that I need all the help I can get

 
At 9:19 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe two hours in total then but never 3! Depends on the size of the chicken of course.
Man i really have forgotten how to spell!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

education otherwise