Wednesday, March 08, 2006

So he's grounded

... but it's teeming outside so that's not such a big deal.

Didn't go to the group thing this morning as a result of the grounding and I'm sure a very peaceful real circle time was enjoyed by all.

We had our circle time, which in this house is really the three Quls, surah fatiha, ayat al kursi, and then some nursery (action) rhymes followed by du'a.

Then we upgraded our pot garden from mud platter to almost-landscape by adding our tree...



Don't have any modelling wax to make the bird, bird's nest, duck elephant, mandrill and T-Rex with and yes, the grass hasn't grown, but as most of our outdoor adventures involve MUD this detail really isn't lost on Boss. Might add a fish or two to the pond.

Then I taught Boss how to finger knit, and he did with some REAL wool (not acrylic that I have by the box load) that I bought on eBay - very thick, very soft, very easy to use. Very green. Gorgeous.



We made a person with pipe cleaners and beads. We need to work on our idol-making skills, but as a first attempt:



Then we planted some tomato and strawberry seeds. We placed those in our nature corner. Boss most peturbed by the fact that some seeds are "floating in the sky". He takes the scenery *way* too seriously.




Then he practiced using scissors. Very nice. Managed to lose only two fingers this time.

Then we did some cuisenaire rod work. He is MUCH better than he was a few months ago. Estimation bang on and counting skills just light years ahead. Masha'allah. *Breaks into song: What a difference a day makes...*

We read another few pages of LW&W. He remembers the outline of what was covered yesterday, which he never did a few months ago. I am impressed he remembers the names of the children, although he is unfamiliar with non-Arabic names and kept asking which was the girl *giggle* and I had to explain that Peter and Edmund were boys names and Susan and Lucy were girls names.

Then we looked at our carrot and car door seed. The carrot has changed significantly from yesterday. Can you spot the difference?



Which led neatly onto a discussion about what plants need to grow and the difference between being put in water in full sunshine to being put in a dark cupboard/fridge with no water. Very good.

Then we read pterosaur books. He measured each pterosaur with the lengths of his fingers to ascertain which was the biggest, not really to scale but I was impressed at his attempt at measuring even though I have *never* broached the subject of measuring with him ever.

We could do a chart of the biggest dinosaurs/pterosaurs sometime as he obsessed with which was the biggest/strongest/meanest...

Jaws sleeping. I'm going to read my mail for the past two days :S

4 Comments:

At 4:31 pm, Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Knew the other side of the coin...

More I read this blog more it's plain you're one great mum....

Wanna adopt a 48 year old kid?

 
At 6:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salaam 'alaykum,

seems like an interesting day. I'm sure you get asked alot but- why home-schooling? I'm sure both Boss and you benefit from what's essentially a one-to-one relationship but d'you think the benefits are significant enough to outweigh the losses? When I was at school, it was as much an exercise in social interaction than an education- do home schooled kids have the same opportunities? I was intrigued that Boss didn't recognise non-arabic names- is that symptomatic of his non-standard schooling? How long d'you plan to home-school him?

Alhamdulillah- this is an excellent blog and I hope you don't take offence to my questions. I'm not sure if you intended it to be entertaining but it certainly is.

Wa billahi ta'ala tawfiq.

Salaam 'alaykum,

 
At 6:45 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh 4D you make me blush - its like having fan club when I read these comments ;-) I probably come across as an OK mum here because I leave so much OUT. You know - the endless nagging, screaming, embolisms.... yeah I'll adopt you so long as you're toilet trained.

Hannah - Oh dear - I am really sorry that you were blown out - and the weather really sucks for that to happen too. I emailed the group to let you know I wouldn't be coming did you get it?

I would hate it to fold as it is something I really feel positive about, I am just unsure how a giddy Boss can add productively to this setting? I get a tad paranoid that we hold people back (hey you've seen how giddy he can get!). I think he is getting better but sometimes I feel like running away and hiding.
But he was grounded for very good reasons - car doors and fingers do not go. Yes I know it was an accident but still I think letting him get away with THAT would have sent the wrong message that nothing he does will hold any consequences etc.
But I would like to come next week if thats OK?

Waqar maybe I'll answer those questions in a blog of their own? Maybe later insha'allah.

 
At 7:39 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

No I know it wasn't ;-) But you are right there is adab when it comes to things like this.

It would be a shame to let it fold. You up for NA tomorrow if it isn't raining?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

education otherwise