Sunday, February 27, 2005

This blog

...isn't really educational at all is it. I mean, it hasn't really been "education" or "Home-Education" related - this is just the place I vent my spleen at everything and everyone. Feels good :D Well done H.O. for this brain-saving idea - I no longer have to waffle these things to my husband anymore, and he can now stop pretending to listen and understand me. Hurrah! Two happy bunnies :)

Anyway, as such I suppose this means I may talk about Islam a lot, so if this offends/bores anyone, then you know, tough.

OK Sarah asked for a run down on some verbage that is common Muslim parlance and may leave some people going "eh??". Maybe when/if I have time I'll add a glossary to the right somewhere...

Insha'allah = "if God wills" and there's the idea that there is no might or power except in and from God; He is the best of Planners and whatever we plan and hope for can never find fulfilment unless Allah has so willed it. So when we say that we are really just acknowledging our poverty before His Richness - it is a form of humility and giving all due credit to our creator.

Masha'allah = Lit. "What God wants", the idea being that Allah has brought this into being and it is good and never could we have found or wrought this goodness by ourselves. It is a gift and by honouring the One who gave us it by uttering this "rememberance" of Him then we also "protect" it, since we have brought God's name to bear over it. There is a verse in the Qur'an that whoso remembers Allah, Allah will also remember him, and he who forgets Allah, Allah leaves to wander without protection or help.

I'll add more later. Boss and Hubby are getting louder and louder in a "get here now" major hint mode. Any longer up here and I will detect a "nose out of joint" odour wafting about...

1 Comments:

At 8:08 am, Blogger Sarah said...

Thanks for the explanation, Debbie :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

education otherwise