Saturday, February 26, 2005

Snot

... to the left of us! Snot to the right of us! I feel as though "The Charge of the Light Brigade" should have been background music today (incidently, that is what my father used to call the Electricity Bill...)

Woke up today to *have* to get Boss out of bed (it was 9:40am and he *did* goto bed at 6pm masha'allah) - then realised why: he's bunged up. Again. Or rather he isn't bunged up - he's very runny and explosive. Oh well, a hot bath and Vicks it is then. You know, Vicks on the forehead is great for a head-cold...

Anyway, got some other things from Amazon today. Gosh I *am* a little spend-thrift, aren't I. I don't actually spend a lot of money (simply for logistical reasons *ahem*), but when I decide to buy then it happens in blocks.

Today we got two books for his LeapPad, which I bought from Boots on all points (yes, ALL ON POINTS, plus a Lego tractor-trailer, a Lego Bin Lorry, and I *still* have some points left too masha'allah!) I have no idea how I managed to accumulate so many points but the fact is I want them spent by the time No2 arrives in June (insha'allah) - that way I can start again and split it among them both fairly and evenly. Just seems a little off to buy all of Boss' stuff only for someone else to get all the bonuses... so I got a LeapPad. The idea was it is "educational" and will grow with him insha'allah, much more so than the five-minute wonder toys which are left to go yellow in the corner.

Anyway, I wouldn't have *bought* a LeapPad as a) I couldn't have afforded it and b) I wasn't at all convinced that you especially *need* one. It's amazing though how children learn indirectly by plodding about with buttons etc. I bought him a "Qur'an computer" last year and masha'allah he has picked up quite a lot. Much more than I could ever teach him.

So we got two new books and like the little man he is masha'allah, he proudly, and importantly, changes the books and cartridges himself and puts the unused book on the shelf "where I can reach". Aw.

Books: I have come to the conclusion that books are amazing. I never liked them much myself, though, and I think after taking my education to post-grad level books just phase and bore me rigid. I hate them. Actually if I'm honest I'm frightened of them. I palpatate at the thought of *having* to read one. I have a fair few of them though, but I'm not a bookworm.
I was reading a statistic from America a while ago that the number of adults reading for recreation had dropped to an all-time low of 40% of the literate population. Which may be terrific news for the power-freaks in government WE ARE ALL SHEEP NOW, but not so great for personal development, enlightenment and self-actualisation.
But books are amazing and I've learned this simply through being with Boss. He can't get enough of them. Even ones over his head. Does it phase him that he doesn't know some of the words?? No - he wants more. More more more. More stories, more facts, more big words. About anything.

You know it's interesting that children go through this stage - they just go through an insatiable lust for words and if I remember rightly the WTMind actually encourages stuffing (OK not their phrase) as many words in as the child can pick up for later use, simply because this is a window of opportunity that never opens ever again. Children want a name for everything - for every shade of blue, for every nuance that exists. And linguistically nouns, or "names", are essential for higher thinking. Modern thought on philosophy and sociology of knowledge is that all knowledge and intelligence is based on language acquisition, the primary basics of language being nouns – names. In fact, before we can think we actually have to know the names of things. Through this noun-acquisition thought develops as an emergent property. So for example, to be able to even think, “this table is brown” you first need to have a noun and a concept of ‘brown’ and of ‘table’ – ‘is-ness’ being perhaps slightly more contentious; some saying it denotes predicate whilst yet others say it is simply tautologous. Nevertheless, it is interesting to note that in every case where language development is stunted or non-existent (and by language this means noun-acquisition) that IQ is unusually low. Children who have been neglected and raised by animals (a classic example being a case in Germany in the 1970s whereby a toddler was found to be neglected by parents and being tended to by a German sheepdog), or in societies which need very little language to get by, it has been proven that these people have limited intellectual capacities – unable to grasp or extend thinking laterally and viscerally, and this effect is permanent if not rectified before language become solidified in the human child (around the age of six). Once past the age of puberty (where language is extremely difficult to acquire) the IQ is virtually non-negotiable; the window of opportunity being completely lost.

So noun acquisition is *the* most important block on the staircase to thinking, intelligence and ergo, ultimately, self-actualisation. Without nouns/names higher development, both intellectually and spiritually, is impossible.

I was thinking also that this is another breathe-taking example whereby the Qur’an proves its validity aeons before man had the capacity to understand the depth of this statement. It quite clearly states that Allah taught Adam the names of things – the nouns of things. It is quite specific on this point. It does not say Allah gave Adam some knowledge, no. It specifically states that Adam was taught nouns – the building blocks to intelligent life. Allah did not give this ability to know the "names" of things to anything else that He created. The angels do not have this capacity, for example.

"Then Allah turned to the angels and said tell me the names of these things if you speak the Truth, and they replied, “Glory be to You, of knowledge we have none except as that which Thou bestows on us!”"

So, the keynote in our relationship with Allah is one of knowledge, obedience yes, but knowledge as well. Islam’s stance on knowledge is very high – in the battle against our lower selves we first must know what Allah’s orders are thereafter being vigilant against the lowest urgings of our animal appetites with tools of intelligence and self-discipline over one’s passions.

And it all begins at this age when we give our children the "Names of things" - what a responsibility. In Islam, and in classical Arabic, language is seen as a sacred thing - orality is seen as the bedrock of civilisation and dignified living. And traditionally it has always been the Mother who instills this civility and bedrock of civilisation - in English we have our "mother" tongue, and in Arabic we have an "ummah" or community, based on the word "Umm" which means "Mother". And, of course, Qur'an literally means "recitation" - it is the ultimate in oral tradition. It was never meant to be taken as a "book", but literally something to be recited, read, spoken. Hamza Yusuf did a talk on this once, if I find a tape I'll try to recap the main points sometime insha'allah.

But its another reason why we shouldn't fail or warp our children with uncouth speach - the speach actually affects our mentation, it affects very much our thinking capacity and intelligence, and ultimately the very fabric of our spiritual life and relationship with our Creator. That is a weighty burden and one which I pray I (and anybody reading this) can live up to in the best manner. We owe it to our kids to give them the best start; we all know that means to give them the best physical sustainance, but how many people stop to think of the spiritual bread and butter we are setting them up with for life?

So. More books it is then.

8 Comments:

At 8:59 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Actually Boss is much more interested in stories I make up than ones in a "book". Coincidence? I think not. In fact, the Qur'an calls itself "the best narration" and it's fact that every human needs a narrative to live by; what children do is seek one and whether we supply a good one or not depends largely how they learn the world.

He really likes my "story" of the boy who climbed mango tree and fell out and broke his legs and so his mummy told him off, and the one about the boy who wouldn't stop pushing people's bottoms (GRR) and he fell down the stairs and just like Humpty Dumpty he couldn't be mended. He thinks about that one alot. Bum pushing abated a bit too :P

 
At 9:18 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

No idea. Really clueless at the moment. Have only just my first Mason book. I think so long as there are no overt Jesus Saves and is My Lord type references I will go with it. I mean, the Sufi teaching classics weren't overtly Qur'anic were they? Sometimes having just those type of non-rational stories are good for floating around peoples' heads for ideas.

Remind me to blog about Idries Shah sometime re: sufi stories for children and the tale he tells about the songs of birds. Too pooped to think right now...

 
At 9:54 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad you are sharing your brain with us again...
i now feel nostalgic for the 'single' driving half an hour to your house days, back in rain and fog days, tahajjud days. lol.
wouldn't go back, but subhan'Allah.
i wondered if the Adam link was coming - thought i was clever. hah. yeah right!!!
anyway, at least i can not feel blog reading is just a glorified soap opera now. jazakAllah khair.
i could do with *this* EVERY day.
SO SORRY, BUT WHAT are HTML TAGS?!

 
At 9:56 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

would like tahajjud though. amin

 
At 10:48 am, Blogger Unknown said...

I don't miss those days at all! I mean, you know - we both could have died and no one would ever have known...

 
At 2:54 pm, Blogger Sarah said...

Hope you don't mind me asking, but could you explain what some of your phrases mean - masha'allah and insha'allah? I googled quickly but ended up finding similar meanings 'if Allah wills' for both - is that right?

really interesting post about the naming stuff :)

 
At 6:34 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

I think its the fact that they make no rational sense that is entirely the point, though Merry. On one level they are "working" and its nourishing the creative side - the side of us that usually gets squashed in the West in favour of "useful" stuff. Pyschologists have started to "treat" people now who have a tendency for too much "rationality" with teaching stories that have been used by Sufis for millenia - just to counter-act the one-sidedness of some peoples' personalities.

 
At 8:49 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

I don't *think* I prattle.

Yes, pop-up so much better dont you think :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

education otherwise