Friday, February 03, 2006

Not just a river in Egypt...

... why it took me *this* long to realise I was depressed I just don't know. Perhaps it was the stigma, or perhaps I don't place myself in the 'pill-needing' bracket, and perhaps because I just don't like having to take medication for more than a day. But here we are, seven months later, with me so low I just don't know if I'll make it through the day, palpitating at how close I am to the edge of crazyville, hoping I don't screw my kid up any more than I already have this year, and I'm looking at the packet of pills the Dr gave me this morning - cipralex. Sounds good. Like, 'just-relax' and omigod I don't know if I can wait the four whole weeks for these things to kick in. I may just turn to vodka instead - it works quicker.

Oh wait. Wrong religion. Damn.

If I hear one more thing from Tom Cruise about vitamins....

4 Comments:

At 6:27 pm, Blogger Hannah said...

*4 weeks*??!! Doesn't that sort of defeat the object?

I mean you only go to the doctors when you have hit rock bottom, realised "I cannot pull through this alone",

not think "Oh wait, in 4 weeks time I might be at my wits end, must go to the doctors for them pills so they'll start to work"

Are they stupid?

Oh wait, I already know the answer to that question.

P.S. Very proud of you for seeking help. Let me know if you need anything. X

 
At 6:34 pm, Blogger Hannah said...

oh, also thought of you today, went into the chemist next to my doctors and they have cherry flavoured echinacia tinture for kids which states 'alcohol free' I think the brand was 'Healthwise' It was about a fiver though.

 
At 6:39 pm, Blogger 4 girls and 3 boys said...

4 weeks!!! It used to be two. Not very progressive on the old medical front is it? I hope you are feeling better soon. Probably ned them myself in view of White Horses started playing today and I sat and howled.

 
At 2:28 pm, Blogger Maryam said...

That's what I am on, although our brand name here is 'Lexapro' but they are both escitalopram oxalate.

If it's any consolation, they are the best and most quickest working I've ever taken (and I've been through a few different types). Mine started kicking in after about a week and after a few weeks I was starting to feel fine after a period in which I was about to divorce my husband for being gay (obviously he is not gay, but I was going through a really psychotic period on some other drugs that sent me haywire).

Keep taking them at the same time, they recommend the night I think but if you get any bad dreams (happens to some people in the short term) you could try taking them in the morning. I take mine in the night because they don't affect my sleep at all.

Insha'Allah in a short time you will look back with amazement at how much better you feel.

If after a few weeks you don't feel any change, gather up the strength to go back to your Doc and tell him/her and look for another alternative. Some drugs work really well with some people and others not, but other drugs work really well for them.

*hugs* good luck, you're in my duas.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

education otherwise