Wednesday, March 22, 2006

I'm tired. Is it compulsory to feel this tired? Is it?

Had a nice walk to the group today. Ib told Boss about the time he nearly got knocked over whist they held hands, and Boss being an attentive listener managed to squish the punchline with "LOOK - A BIN LORRY".
Did the circle time (which looks more like a really long rectangle at the moment) and they had a snack. Nattered with Aunty N and came home. Boss managing to impale himself on a thorn bush on the way back *rolls eyes*.

Dyed eggs which had varying degrees of success; I think we might paint them tomorrow instead insha'allah. We looked at birds and nests on the net then made our own nest to put the eggs in.

Read LW&W and only have one chapter left. The witch is dead and Boss can't believe how much we've read :D

I have ordered a Charlotte's Web. I have a Harry Potter around here somewhere. The thing with books is, and perhaps this is prudish, but I don't want to get books which celebrate bad behaviour. I really don't need help in that department. And I'm clueless with books as we never read very many when I was a child. Hence my loathing of books? Well, after a sound "education" I think it has part to do with it. I remember reading Roald Dahl's stuff - BFG is OK isn't it, but Danny Champion just celebrates bare-face theft. Things which innocent can give quite the wrong message sometimes. I may need to shout out for help when it comes to books in the future so please bear all this in mind ;-)

For 4D, some help with abbreviations:

jzk - means 'jazakallah khair' and means 'may Allah reward you'
i.a. - means 'insha'allah' and means 'if Allah wills/allows it to happen'
subhan'allah - means 'glory to Allah' and is a term of praise and amazement
masha'allah - you say this at something nice and means 'it comes from Allah' ergo is good because of that.

Have nothing interesting to say.

6 Comments:

At 8:14 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

I've read Danny and the only thing that sticks in my mind was that they poached a lot. And maybe this is OK to read when you are older but I think Boss is too young to discern the acceptability of that.

 
At 8:14 pm, Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

BFG's fine. Boss'll crack up at the botty burps stuff. Don't forget the bad Giant kills a kid I think early on so watch how you read that bit.

Maybe a bit soon but Tolkien's The Hobbit will be a good one at some point. A bit much now but you can make it 'easier' and 'lighter' by readin' it a certain way. Read it to Jax at 6 and she loved it.

Anyway jzk for bein' a good mum

 
At 12:45 am, Blogger Heidi Grether said...

D,

For the first day in WEEKS my lower back did not hurt, all day! All from one session of Callanetics. Thank you, a million times!!! hg <><

 
At 9:29 am, Blogger Unknown said...

H, jus' doin' my job ma'am ;-)

Hannah, yeah I remembered about the BFg right after I posted - I don't think I'll do that with him just yet. Haven't read anywhere that theft can be halal in any circumstances, only that punishment cannot be meted out if the perpertrator is poor. Maybe when he is older he will be able to make the distinction with these things but right now I think he is too young - they just soak it all up when they are this age don't they.

Decided to go with an abridged version of Wind in the Willows as I await my Charlotte's Web.

I don't think I've read as much as this in my entire LIFE!!

 
At 9:58 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salaam- I can't believe you're contemplating Dahl and overlooking Charlie and the Chocolate Factory??? Or Matilda. Or George's Marvellous Medicine. [Boss' grandmother(s) mightn't appreciate that one actually...]. My personal favourite was the Twits (I still like reading that)... So many good books... I think with Dahl, always start with Charlie- all the naughty kids with their various vices are caught out by them, and the good simple boy gets his dream realised...

I never read WITW- good cartoon though. Or Charlotte's web... Good on Boss for getting into LW&W- that took me three attempts to read... I finally managed it at 21.

Nice glossary too by the way- v handy. Jzk :)

4D- nice use of terminology in context...

I've wasted enough of your time. Have a nice day :)

 
At 4:09 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Yes I just stated that Hannah - when there is poverty you cannot punish a perpertrator of theft. In such cases the state then becomes guilty of the crime since they are responsible for ensuring that there is no poverty and that zakat is distributed. But just as we are allowed to eat pig if there is no food and we are at the point of death that does not mean eating pig is halal does it? Whatever the case, there are people out there who would never eat pig nor steal whatever the circumstances. I would prefer for Boss to aim for those ideals rather than the former. I think Boss is too young for these nuances. The bigger picture is that I am wary of what I allow to influence him at this stage of his life. And yes, I read these books and never stole. But then I also had a lot of friends on heroin and never took heroin - I won't be encouraging my children to mix with those type of people either. Naive? Maybe. I was just making a passing comment on the type of influence I let in the house at this point.

Or maybe I'm just underestimating him. Highly probable ;-)

Charlie and the chocolate factory - duh! - How could I forget THAT. Total classic. I'll dig that one out I think. Might be a good book to do a project on ;-) Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

education otherwise