Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Rant cont'd

And while we are at it, why is the jilbab considered "extreme" and why do non-Muslims presume that they know everything about our religion and telling us that Shalwar-Kameez is OK but jilbab isn't - I'm not a pakistani so what would *I* wear in such circumstances then?! And jilbab isn't in the Qur'an? Really? Big surprise to all Arabic-understanding Muslims there then. Good job some white bloke from London set us straight on that point. Why is it that to have a society without "wedges" and mutual compromise Muslims have to give up their stuff but non-Muslims don't, and before anyone bangs on about "well in Rome" - please - goto any nation the British have either ruled over or live in and what you will NOT see is the British accommadating the local/native lifestyle in any shape or form. They live as English people but abroad. They do not try to fit in one bit. They incessantly bitch about the locals and think the English way of doing things is the right way.

I just hate hypocrisy. Damn it.

3 Comments:

At 8:02 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so getting closer and closer to sending them all to school and nursery. boo hoo.
Masha'Allah, beautiful numbers.
Does this mean mine need updating too!?!
Seriously, I think my life needs updating, but anyway.......
kdja

 
At 9:09 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Send them off be done with it

:P

Sorry bad attitude for a HE-er

 
At 10:24 pm, Blogger Michelle said...

Sorry for jumping in after only reading to this point; I still have much to learn from your site in the more recent archives.

I feel I have to stand up and say that not all British people act like Brits' Abroad. (You did make the point quite strongly there) I did some short stints in The Netherlands and Germany; under the surface there were considerable social differences and I did my best to fit in. Although I did not speak German, I was paid the compliment by a colleague that I understood German.

In my humble and inexperienced view, the thing I fear is not the difference in religion, but the difference in law. In some countries, the two are bound together, and that does not create a recipe for people of many different beliefs and ways of life to live together. From the people I talk with infrequently on the subject, it is seen that the U.K., while not perfect, is working (sometimes haphazardly) towards multi racial and religious harmony, and when confronted with people for whom religion and law are so closely bound, the fear is that it is desired that the law be changed towards said religion (whatever it may be) which is a fear I can understand and identify with.

Look at the length of time it is taking to untangle Christian values and influences from British law; it will take many years more yet.

For now, however, I need rest, and I intend to return to your insightful and wonderful blog tomorrow, to learn more.

Thank you for allowing it to remain; what I have so far read has been an education I am honored to have received.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

education otherwise